Monday, August 18, 2008

Authorspot - Neil Gaiman

In my ever-expanding quest to figure out who and what I am, what makes me tick, and from whence my psychoses derive, I've decided to share with you writers that I enjoy.

Perhaps best known for his work on the Sandman, Gaiman first struck a chord with me when I picked up Neverwhere on a lark. It was dark, fantastic, and quirky in all the right ways. I soon discovered Stardust which was similar, but far less dark. Still, I never imagined it as a film.

I even bought my youngest son his children's book, The Day I swapped my Dad for Two Goldfish.

But it was Coraline that really cemented him as a writer I'll always enjoy reading. It recaptured much of what drew me in with Neverwhere while also being a fantastic ghost story.

I love ghost stories and one of these days I'll have to recommend M.R. James.

At any rate if you haven't already, check out:



As with most authors of note, this is far from a definitive selection of recommendations, only what has spoken most directly to me, and taken from the list of what I've actually read. Have at it!

3 comments:

Don said...

Ooh! I'd not heard of Coraline, I'll have to pick it up. I let Celeste borrow my copy of Neverwhere to read, she just has to get through the hundred other books she's reading.

Wyrmdog said...

Seriously? I thought I'd gushed about it to you already. Yeah, it's worth snagging. About a little girl who discovers a key that goes to a door that...well, you have to read it.

The Raging Swede(tm) said...

Whoa.. first of all, good to see some action on your blog. Second of all, whoa.. I haven't read either of these.. though I'm VERY familiar with his Sandman stuff.

Soooo. Who has copies to lend me?