Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Live!!

Sorta.

I'm not sure why I spend so much time between posts, I'm really not. But sometimes something happens that flips my switch in a way that affects me concretely rather than abstractly. That's what happened with this article:

Ars Technica on Pirates and the Music Industry

I don't have a lot more to say but: the BI Norwegian School of Management is right. No amount of denial on the part of the industry will change that.

I totally understand the need to protect copyright. As a person with the stated goal of producing marketable intellectual property and as a person married to someone producing marketable intellectual property, I don't want theft any more than anyone else. So where do I find the happy middle ground, where the music industry adopts a healthy and intelligent business model appropriate to the information age and where people share and propogate but don't steal?

I'm gonna have to think on that.

2 comments:

Don said...

Slow down there, Sinistar. Don't want to hurt yourself. ;D

Corey Doctorow has some good stuff about intellectual property in the digital age. I'd start reading there:

http://craphound.com/littlebrother/about/#freedownload

Wyrmdog said...

Well that's just it: I read about it ALL the time, and I'm still trying to figure out which are my opinions and which are purely cribbed from others. Granted, it's difficult to have a purely original thought anymore but what I want to know is if my buy-in is there or not.

Sometimes, the key to finding what I think is to stop reading and start talking.